The graphic t-shirts that were formerly a fashion trend are here to stay. To wear these statement pieces without coming across as kitschy, cluttered, or adolescent, stick with tees in the black and white color palette. Modern, yet classic, and eternally en vogue, black and white always works. Pair these B&W tops with wide-leg pants and slides, or work them with distressed jeans and sandals.
Here are 10 of my favorites.
SHOP THE LOOK
- BE YOU TIFUL. $72, asos.com The only sleeveless tee in this bunch comes from the Dutch label Zoe Karssen, with the command: “Be You Tiful.”
- KARL. $125, net-a-porter.com The instantly recognizable silhouette of Lagerfeld is front-and-center on this boyfriend-fit cotton tee.
- L’HABIT NE FAIT PAS LE MOINE. $85, net-a-porter.com This jersey-knit midnight-blue t-shirt from Clare Vivier is inscribed with “L’habit ne fait pas le moine.” The translation? “Clothes don’t make the man.”
- MIUCCIA. $85, net-a-porter.com There will be no question of what team you’re on when you’re wearing this sporty style. ’49 is Mrs. Prada’s year of birth.
- YES, NO, OR MAYBE? $50, jcrew.com The quirky handwriting of Brooklyn-based illustrator Hugo Guinness makes this loose-fitting white linen t-shirt a conversation piece.
- McQ. $160, shopbop.com Cropped, with dolman sleeves, Alexander McQueen’s version of the graphic tee is black with bold white lettering, for an edgier look.
- #SELFIE. $40, frenchconnection.com Whether or not you’re a fan of this form of self-expression, this tee is a sign of the times.
- I’M LIMITED EDITION. $33, shopbop.com Cap sleeves and a flattering scoop neckline aren’t the only things that stand out about this top.
- QR CODE. $23, asos.com The scannable QR code on this cropped cotton t-shirt takes you right to the British retailer’s site.
- POODLE BALLOON ANIMAL. $135, shopbop.com The London-based fashion brand known for its modern silhouettes and vibrant color does the graphic tee without words–just a velvet silhouette of Koons-ian poodle balloon animal.