Make sure to visit Jennifer’s blog: Hometown Heroine!
Happy Monday! It’s Jennifer from Hometown Heroine, here with my first beauty and fashion post for Live The Life You Dream About. I’m really excited to get started, so first let me share a little background with you. Although I live in San Francisco, home is still in the foothills of California. This past weekend I headed south of the city back to where I grew up to attend my beautiful friend’s wedding. Now, country weddings tend to be very different, especially in the summer. Most around here this time of year are outdoors in the triple digit heat. Basically, the majority of weddings are casual so the guests can dress in cool clothing and no one has a heat stroke. For me country weddings always mean one thing; I get to dress bohemian (or at least my version of it.)
Here’s how I got ready:
On Friday I shockingly decided I was going to give myself ombré hair. I have never once touched any type of dye or bleach to my locks, so I wanted to go easy on it. Using a box of L’Oreal Ombré Touch for dark brown hair, I (with a little help) created this look. So of course now that I have this summery hair, my outfits have been revolving around it and my wedding look is no different.
- I separated my hair into three sections (above the ears, at the temple and the top of my head).
- Then I took a one-inch curling iron to it. Instead of using the clamp, I just wrap my hair around the iron and hold until the section feels warm to the touch.
- After completing each layer, I spay it with Bed Head’s Masterpiece hair spray, which not only gives amazing hold but also beautiful shine.
- Finally after it’s all curled and cooled, I lightly comb through it to get a soft and romantic look.
Since I knew it would be hot at the nuptials, here is how I did my makeup:
- I started by applying the Bare Minerals BareSkin Foundation using a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush.
- I went under my eyes with the Garnier Anti-Dark-Circle Roller that I then set with the Bare Minerals Under Eye Highlighting Powder.
- Using a kabuki brush, I blended the Benefit Hoola bronzer around the edges of my face and into the hollows of my checks to give my foundation dimension. Then I placed the Bare Minerals face highlighter on my forehead and cheeks to give myself a dewy glow.
- For my eyes, I started with a base of the Smashbox Penny eyeshaddow, which is matte and matches my skin perfectly. For contour I used a beautiful bronze shadow from Bare Minerals called Cognac. For a highlight I added Urban Decay Easy Baked to the inner corner of my eye. Finally I ran the Urban Decay Smog eye pencil above my lash line before finishing up with the Bare Minerals Lash Domination Mascara.
- Lips where easy, I just did a sweep of MAC Pure Zen lipstick before covering it with Smashbox Copper Chic gloss.
- I dabbed some Benefit Sun Beam bronzing highlighter to the tops of my cheekbones, under my brows, down my nose and around my lips. This product gives my warm skin tone a beautiful bronzing glow without looking fake.
- Lastly, I sprayed the Urban Decay Chill setting spray all over my face to keep my makeup cool and on tight.
Finally I decided to do something that would compliment my new hair and grabbed the most bohemian dress from my closet. I bought this Mink Pink dress about a year ago after swooning over it in Urban Outfitters for longer than I’d like to admit. Because of my petite stature, it’s hard for me to find maxi dresses that are the right length like this one. Because this is a very bold dress, for accessories less is more which is perfect for this summer heat. All I had to do was put on a basic pair of leather sandals and a little bit of delicate jewelry. I wore a long gold necklace from forever21, and two bracelets. The silver buckle bangle is from Juicy Couture while the gold arrow one is Stella & Dot.
Summer is the time for having fun with your style. Stylistically, it’s my favorite time of the year. So ladies, have fun these next couple months! Use this time to tone down your normal beauty routines and embrace being naturally and beautifully you! I hope you all have a wonderful July and I will see you again in August!
xx, Jennifer Lieskovan (Hometown Heroine)