Hello, again! Alicia from THE LUSH LIST with one of our fall favorites. All of the beautiful fall apples have me thinking about apple pie. This Apple Galette or Rustic Apple Pie is a family favorite. Our food allergies necessitated a few changes to my baking routine. Gluten-free baking can be intimidating but with the right ingredients, success is possible. Chef Lena Kwak developed Cup 4 Cup Gluten Free Flour in the kitchen of Thomas Keller’s Napa Valley iconic French Laundry. It truly is just that. It has worked in everything I’ve used it in. This recipe only needed one change and a one tiny addition to result in the great treat we had always enjoyed. This is a simple recipe, but so good. Apple Galette makes a great dessert –and holiday breakfast pastry, as well! Hope you enjoy one of our family traditions!
PREP TIME: 20 minutes | COOK TIME: 20-25 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR PIE CRUST
- 2 c of Cup4Cup
- 1 tbs Kosher Salt
- 2 sticks very cold butter (diced right before use)
- ¼ c and 2 tbs of ice water
- **Note: If you use traditional flour, delete the 2 tbs of water.
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING
- 1 c well packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Zest from 1 orange
- 2 of your favorite apples (I used Honeycrisp but Granny Smith is great, too!)
- Place the flour and salt in your food processor. Pulse it 3-4 times to mix.
- Take the butter from the refrigerator and quickly dice it.
- Place the butter cubes in the food processor and toss to coat with the flour mixture being careful with the sharp blades on the bottom.
- Pulse the mixture until the cubes are about pea sized.
- Add the ice cold water through the top of the food processor while it is running.
- Let the it mix until the dough begins to come together but is not yet one big ball.
- Turn it out on to a well floured pastry board or sheet.
- Separate into two sections and form into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Just before you roll out the crust, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Zest the orange over the mixture, combine and set aside.
- Remove from plastic wrap and roll out on to well floured pastry board.
- Roll out in to a 10 inch circle.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lines baking sheet.
- Slice your apples into 1/8” slices.
- Add to sugar mixture and toss.
- Arrange them in a circular pattern on the crust leaving 1 ½ inch border of crust uncovered.
- Gently fold the pie crust over the apples.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Some of the sugar may come out of the crust. If so, just scrape away from the edges with a spatula.
- Transfer to a wire rack to continue to cool.
- Serve warm with ice cream or spiced whipped cream.