101 THINGS IN 1001 DAYS
Prompted by our move from New York City to Virginia in May 2015, this is my list of 101 things that I want to accomplish in the next 1001 days. 1001 days is approximately 2.75 years, and this index is both a to-do list of short-term goals and a way to keep longer term goals in sight. Publishing this record is a way for me to communicate what I want for myself, hold on to it, and most importantly: make progress toward turning things “I hope to do” into actions I’ve taken and can now identify in the past tense. So here goes: 2.75 years to achieve as many goals as possible. Thank you for the inspiration, Mackenzie.
STARTS MAY 1, 2015 ENDS JANUARY 25, 2018 (13/101)
1. Read at least 33 books total; one book per month. (9/33) May 2015: Freedom by Jonathan Franzen, June 2015: A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley, July 2015: The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin, August 2015: Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates, September 2015: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon, October 2015: The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss, November 2015: You are a Badass by Jen Sincero, August 2016: Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance, Wear No Evil, by Greta Eagan.
2. Read five biographies. (0/5)
3. Read five Pulitzer Prize winning novels written in the last 25 years. (2/5) A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.
4. Read five novels written before 1900. (0/5)
5. Read for thirty minutes every day for 30 consecutive days.
6. Reread three books from childhood. (0/3)
7. Reread five books from college. (0/5)
8. Celebrate 3 years of sobriety in February 2016.
9. Celebrate 4 years of sobriety in February 2017.
10. Celebrate 1 year of a gluten-free diet.
11. Celebrate 2 years of a gluten-free diet.
12. Celebrate 2 years of a sugar-free diet.
13. Celebrate 3 years of a sugar-free diet.
14. Celebrate 3 years of a caffeine-free diet.
15. Celebrate 4 years of a caffeine-free diet.
16. Celebrate 5 years of a caffeine-free diet.
17. Upload at least 50 CDs to my iTunes.
18. Go to bed at 10 p.m. for 14 consecutive days.
19. Wake up at 5 a.m. for 14 consecutive days.
20. Unplug completely for 24 hours (no internet, iPhone, television, etc.)
21. Unplug completely for 72 hours (no internet, iPhone, television, etc.)
22. Donate to Haverford in 2016 and 2017.
23. Donate blood, thrice.
24. Refresh self on past and future tenses in Spanish.
25. Inventory my wardrobe and donate, store, or toss pieces I don’t wear. (July 2016)
26. Use my sewing machine 6 times.
27. Begin a pregnancy.
28. Become parents!
FAMILY & FRIENDS (2/13)
29. Send overdue wedding gift thank you notes.
30. Send 33 handwritten notes to M.P.; one per month (1/33).
31. Host Thanksgiving for my siblings. (November 2015)
32. Host weekend guests, at least half-a-dozen times. (3/6) July 2015, November 2015, December 2015.
33. Spend a day with each of my siblings, doing what they want.
34. Send flowers to my grandparents one day out of the blue. (May 2015)
35. Visit friends and family in Rochester during warm weather.
36. Visit my grandparents and family in Albany.
37. Visit my Mom in Antigua.
38. Take a trip with my sister.
39. Take a trip with girlfriends.
40. Visit Haverford with Vikas.
41. Post Holiday cards via mail.
SARAH SARNA [DOT] COM (3/15)
42. Host a blogger get-together.
43. Have a new headshot taken in 2015.
44. Have a new headshot taken in 2016.
45. Have a new headshot taken in 2017.
46. Connect with ten blogger friends in person. (3/10) May 2016: Mariella, July 2016: Charlotte, August 2016: Missy.
47. Hit half-way goal of page views per month. (July 2015)
48. Hit full goal of page views per month.
49. Learn to edit video. (July 2016)
50. Post ten vlog posts on my blog and YouTube. (1/10)
51. Design blog business cards. (August 2016)
52. Publish one outfit post per month; 33 total. (1/33) June 2015: White Denim and Lace Up Sandals on Repeat.
53. Design my own fashion item.
54. Design my own fabric collection.
55. Have a design project published on a major blog, online magazine, or print magazine.
56. Contribute to a major online magazine or print magazine.
IN VIRGINIA (6/34)
57. Get my Virginia Driver’s License. (October 2015)
58. Buy my first car. (November 2015)
59. Drive to a destination that is 2+ hours away in 2016.
60. Drive to a destination that is 3+ hours away in 2016.
61. Drive to a destination that is 4+ hours away in 2017.
62. Legally change my maiden name.
63. Vote as a VA resident in a non-Presidential election.
64. Vote as a VA resident in a Presidential election.
65. Slipcover our sofa and chair. (May 2016)
66. Purchase our first home.
67. Complete the decoration of our home’s ground floor rooms.
68. Complete the decoration of our home’s second floor rooms.
69. Complete the decoration of our home’s outdoor living area.
70. Professionally photograph our home.
71. Try at least twenty new restaurants in Virginia (1/20) June 2015: Peter Chang.
72. Join a Catholic Church in Virginia.
73. Host a dinner party in 2015. (November 2015)
Host a dinner party in 2016. (August 2016)
75. Host a brunch in 2016.
76. Host a dinner party in 2017.
77. Host a brunch in 2017.
78. Host a party for a friend.
79. Take a self-defense class.
80. Learn to feel comfortable riding a bike.
81. Initiate a book club.
82. Take on a leadership role within the Junior League of Northern Virginia.
83. Become a member of a yoga studio in Virginia. (March 2016)
84. Complete a 30-day yoga challenge.
85. Complete a 30-day yoga challenge.
86. Complete a 60-day yoga challenge.
87. Visit Scott’s Run Nature Preserve 3 times before October 2016.
88. Visit yard sales or estate sales at least half-a-dozen times.
89. See Bob Dylan in concert, twice. (1/2) June 2016: Wolf Trap.
90. See five live music concerts, plays, or dance performances. (1/5)
IN WASHINGTON DC (0/3)
91. Try ten new restaurants. (1/10) June 2015: Plan B Burger Bar.
92. See one gallery or museum exhibit every month; 33 total. (2/33) May 2015: Thomas Houseago, Masks (Pentagon), Rockefeller Center, July 2015: Shirin Neshat: Facing History, Hirshhorn Museum.
93. See a professional sports game. (0/1)
IN NEW YORK CITY (0/4)
94. Visit New York at least 10 times; approximately once every 3 months. (4/10) August 2015: World Market Store Opening, June 2016, July 2016, July 2016: Angie’s List.
95. Drive to New York City, solo.
96. Spend a day at the U.S. Open.
97. Attend Fashion Week at least twice. (0/2)
98. Visit Atlanta, Georgia for the first time.
99. Visit Charleston, South Carolina for the first time.
100. Visit another Great Southern City for the first time.
101. Travel to South America or Asia.